Hockey Canada announced July 9 that they have named the coaching staff and invited 46 of the country’s top women’s under-18 to the BFL National Women’s Under-18 Team Summer Development Camp July 29-August 5 at WinSport’s Canada Olympic Park in Calgary.
Cassea Schols of Okanagan Hockey Academy (OHA) has been named as an assistant coach for the camp. Schols is heading into her second season as head coach of the OHA Female U18 Prep team, having previously spent time in the Canadian Sports School Hockey League (CSSHL) with Edge School and the Northern Alberta Xtreme (NAX). Schols was recently named the British Columbia BFL Canada Female High-Performance Coach of the Year.
Joining Schols at the camp are eight current CSSHL student-athletes from three different CSSHL member programs.
The eight current CSSHL student-athletes invited include:
- Jordan Baxter – Delta Hockey Academy
- Mikayla Blomquist – Rink Hockey Academy Kelowna
- Brooke Disher – Rink Hockey Academy Kelowna
- Tova Henderson – Delta Hockey Academy
- Hailey MacLeod – Delta Hockey Academy
- Sophie McKinley – Rink Hockey Academy Kelowna
- Jaimee Spring – Edge School
- Sara Swiderski – Rink Hockey Academy Kelowna
The 6 goaltenders, 14 defence and 26 forwards will be split into 2 teams and will participate in practices, skills sessions and intrasquad games. They will also play games against the program’s NextGen athletes (born in 2003) who missed the entire 2020-21 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.