CANADIAN SPORT SCHOOL HOCKEY LEAGUE (“CSSHL”)
Last Updated: May 29, 2019
CSSHL is an education-based hockey league designed specifically for student athletes (“Athletes”). CSSHL features a number of sport schools and hockey teams (collectively, the “Organizations”).
The Platform may be licensed to CSSHL by a third party technology and/or software developer (the “Third Party Developer”). The personal information is stored by the Third Party Developer on servers in Canada and the U.S., and in the cloud (stored in the U.S.), and is governed by the laws of the jurisdiction in which it is stored.
The main purpose of the Platform is to provide easy-to-access and up-to-date information about the CSSHL, the Organizations, and the Athletes with the objective of delivering comprehensive services to the Organizations and the Athletes.
In order to use the Platform or other of CSSHL’s services, CSSHL may require that you provide personal information to CSSHL and consent to CSSHL collecting personal information about you from third parties. The personal information collected by CSSHL will be used to update the Platform.
In certain circumstances, without limiting the foregoing provisions, including but not limited to when dealing with certain legal, medical, or security issues, CSSHL may be authorized or required by law to disclose your personal information without seeking or obtaining your consent.
When using the Platform and dealing with CSSHL, you may choose not to provide certain of your personal information. However, if you choose not to provide information that CSSHL requests, it may limit the manner in which you use the Platform and otherwise interact with CSSHL or you may not be able to access certain of the services offered by CSSHL.
In certain circumstances, CSSHL may provide you with the opportunity to opt-in to certain collections, uses and disclosures of your personal information. If you do not opt-in to a particular collection, use or disclosure of your personal information when given a reasonable opportunity to do so, you do not consent to your personal information being collected, used or disclosed in that particular manner.
Amending or Withdrawing Consent
Collection, Use and Disclosure
The following are particular circumstances in which CSSHL may use or disclose your personal information without obtaining your further consent. By providing your personal information to CSSHL, you consent to the following uses or disclosures:
- using personal information for the purpose for which it was provided and certain other activities that are reasonably ancillary to that purpose;
- using your personal information to identify you and deliver the services that you request;
- using your personal information to communicate with you regarding the services that you request and to provide you with information about new features or enhancements to CSSHL’s services or the Platform;
- using your personal information to provide you with information about CSSHL;
- using payment method preferences and related financial information that you provide to CSSHL so that CSSHL can obtain payment for the services that you request;
- using your personal information to assist CSSHL in delivering its services and the Platform in accordance with your preferences, and in developing and enhancing its services or the Platform;
- using your personal information to assist CSSHL in conducting market analysis and strategic planning;
- where the disclosure is set out in the related documentation for services CSSHL provides to you, or the Platform, or is reasonably expected through the provision of CSSHL’s services, the Platform, or the operation thereof;
- where CSSHL must disclose your personal information in order to comply with any applicable legal obligation, legal or regulatory process, or an order or request of a government institution, investigative body, regulatory body or judicial authority of competent jurisdiction;
- where CSSHL believes in good faith that disclosure is necessary, including without limitation with respect to suspected or actual illegal activities, to enforce agreements to which CSSHL is a party, to investigate and defend CSSHL against any third party claims or allegations, to protect the security or integrity of CSSHL’s services or the Platform, and/or to exercise or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of CSSHL, its clients and users, employees, or others.
Accuracy, Completeness, and Corrections
CSSHL will make a reasonable effort to ensure that the personal information it collects, uses, or discloses is accurate, up-to-date, and complete. Accordingly, it may be necessary for CSSHL to request additional information from you or have you verify your personal information. Should your personal information change, please promptly inform CSSHL of the change.
On your written request, CSSHL will make every reasonable effort to correct errors or omissions in your personal information where that information is in CSSHL’s custody or control. CSSHL requires that all such requests be signed by the requestor and include sufficient detail to enable CSSHL to identify any record in the custody or under the control of CSSHL containing the requested personal information.
If you make such a request, CSSHL will, no later than thirty (30) days from CSSHL’s receipt of your request, or within such additional time as permitted or required by law:
- correct the personal information and, if reasonable to do so, send correction notifications to any third party to whom CSSHL disclosed the incorrect information; or
- decide not to correct the personal information, but CSSHL will annotate the personal information under its control to indicate that a correction was requested but not made.
CSSHL will inform you of the action that it has taken in response to your request for correction, the name of the individual who can answer your questions on behalf of CSSHL about your request for correction, and that you may ask for a review of the action taken in accordance with the relevant privacy legislation.
Notwithstanding any requests for corrections of personal information, CSSHL will not correct or otherwise alter an opinion, including a professional or expert opinion.
Retention, Security, and Destruction
CSSHL has implemented reasonable security safeguards to keep confidential and secure your personal information against various risks (e.g. theft). These safeguards may vary depending on the circumstances (e.g. sensitivity of the personal information), and may include organizational, physical, technological, and contractual security measures (e.g. non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements). For example, CSSHL restricts who is able to access your personal information.
Within a reasonable period after CSSHL no longer reasonably requires your personal information, CSSHL will destroy the records under its custody or control containing your personal information or CSSHL will render your personal information anonymous so that it can no longer be used to identify you. CSSHL will retain certain of your personal information on the Platform for historical purposes (i.e. player information and statistics).
Request for Access
CSSHL requires that any request for access to personal information be in writing, signed by the requestor, with sufficient detail to enable CSSHL to identify any record in the custody or under the control of CSSHL containing the requested personal information.
On such written request, CSSHL will provide you, not later than thirty (30) days from CSSHL’s receipt of your request, or such additional time as permitted or required by law, with a response to your request which may include without limitation access to your personal information (if any) under CSSHL’s custody or control
If you request a copy of your personal information and the information can reasonably be reproduced, CSSHL will provide you with a copy of the record or the part of the record containing the requested information or it will inform you of any delay in providing same.
All requests may be subject to reasonable fees and disbursements. CSSHL may require advance payment of a deposit or the entire costs of responding to a request for access to personal information.
CSSHL reserves all rights not to disclose personal information, in whole or in part, in certain circumstances permitted or required by law, including but not limited to where the disclosure could reasonably be expected to threaten the safety or physical or mental health of an individual or the information is protected by any legal privilege.
If access to your personal information is refused, in whole or in part, CSSHL will provide you with the reasons for the refusal, the provision of the relevant privacy legislation on which the refusal is based, and the name of an individual who can answer your questions on behalf of CSSHL about the refusal, and will inform you that you may ask for a review of the refusal in accordance with the relevant privacy legislation
If your browser permits, you may adjust the settings of your Internet browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or to reject cookies altogether, but in some cases doing so may affect your ability to use the Platform.
Monitoring and Other Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
CSSHL also reserves the right to collect, use and disclose your personal information without your consent where permitted or required by law.